Are you looking for some ideas of what to read this summer? Here are some links and information on recent literary award winners. Lists often feature both the final winners and other nominees, so there are plenty of choices for reading.
- Would you like to read some horror? Want some chills and thrills? The Bram Stoker Awards for 2013 have been announced by the Horror Writers Association.
- How about some mystery? You can check out the Mystery Writers of America’s 2014 winners list of the Edgar Awards.
- Maybe you like your mysteries a bit more cozy? In the tradition of Agatha Christie, the Agatha Awards list for 2013 is available. Unlike the Edgars, the Agathas are very specific in their criteria for an award. Agathas go to books that “contain no explicit sex” and “contain no excessive gore or gratuitous violence.” If you wanted a hard boiled mystery, for example, you would want to see the Edgars list.
- June is LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transexual) Pride Month. If you would like to read some LGBT literature, the Lambda Literary Awards for 2014 list is out from the Lambda Literary Foundation. Among the honorees is Alison Bechdel, author of Fun Home.
- Looking for science fiction and fantasy? The Nebulas for 2013 are out. The Nebulas are voted on by active members of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.