Michael Hingson, author of Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, his Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust, will speak at this week’s convocation, sponsored by the Campus Christian Center. Hingson, who has been blind since birth, was in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 when it was attacked by terrorists. With the aid of his guide dog Roselle, Hingson was able to escape by walking down 78 flights of stairs. After his harrowing experience, he moved from sales into motivational speaking and this Thursday he will discuss what we all need to know and do to promote inclusion.
While we await the arrival of our library’s copy of Thunder Dog, consider checking out some of these titles related to Michael’s talk. Print books on this list are on display currently near the main floor vending area.
On Diversity and Inclusion:
- Jaeger, Paul T, and Cynthia A. Bowman. Understanding Disability: Inclusion, Access, Diversity, and Civil Rights. Westport, Conn: Praeger, 2005.
call # 305.908 J225u 2005.
On Guide Dogs:
- Krieger, Susan. Traveling Blind : Adventures In Vision With A Guide Dog By My Side. West Lafayette, Ind: Purdue University Press, 2010. eBook Collection (EBSCOhost). Web. 21 Sept. 2015.
call #: click here for access to ebook (campus credentials required)
- Michalko, Rod. The Two-In-One : Walking With Smokie, Walking With Blindness. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1999. eBook Collection (EBSCOhost). Web. 21 Sept. 2015.
call # click here for access to ebook (campus credentials required)
On the Human-Animal Bond:
- Anderson, P E. The Powerful Bond between People and Pets: Our Boundless Connections to Companion Animals. Westport, Conn: Praeger, 2008.
call # 636.088 A548p 2008
- Irvine, Leslie. If You Tame Me: Understanding Our Connection with Animals. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2004.
call # 636.708 172
- Knapp, Caroline. Pack of Two: The Intimate Bond between People & Dogs. New York: Bantam, 2000.
call # 636.708 K674p 1998
- Pepperberg, Irene M. Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence-and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process. New York, NY: Collins, 2008.
call # 636.686 P424a 2009